Protide HFA (Inhaler) 25/250
- patients not adequately controlled with inhaled corticosteroids and ‘as needed’ inhaled short acting β2-agonist or
- patients already adequately controlled on both inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting β2-agonist.
Salmeterol protects against symptoms, Fluticasone Propionate improves lung function and prevents exacerbations of the condition. This preparation can offer a more convenient regime for patients on concurrent β-agonist and inhaled corticosteroid therapy. The respective mechanisms of action of both drugs are discussed below:
Salmeterol: Salmeterol is a selective long-acting (12 hour) beta-2-adrenoceptor agonist with a long side chain which binds to the exo-site of the receptor.
Fluticasone Propionate: Fluticasone Propionate given by inhalation at recommended doses has a potent glucocorticoid anti-inflammatory action within the lungs, resulting in reduced symptoms and exacerbaions of asthma, without the adverse effects observed when corticosteroids are administered systemically.
Dosage & Administration
- Adults and adolescents 12 years and older: 2 puffs of 25 µg Salmeterol and 50 µg Fluticasone Propionate twice daily or 2 puffs of 25 µg Salmeterol and 125 µg Fluticasone Propionate twice daily or 2 puffs of 25 µg Salmeterol and 250 µg Fluticasone Propionate twice daily.
- Children (4-12 years): 2 puffs of 25 µg salmeterol and 50 µg Fluticasone Propionate twice daily.
Inhalation Powder in Capsule (For Asthma):
- Adult and Adolescent (12 Years and Older): Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 100 µg or Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 250 µg twice daily (morning and evening, approximately 12 hours apart).
- The recommended starting dosages for Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 100 µg & Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 250 µg for patients aged 12 years and older are based upon patients asthma severity.
- The maximum recommended dosage is Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 500 µg twice daily.
- Pediatric Patients (4 to 11 Years): For patients with asthma who are not controlled on an inhaled corticosteroid, the dosage is Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 100 µg twice daily (morning and evening, approximately 12 hours apart).
Inhalation Powder in Capsule (For COPD): Salmeterol 50 µg & Fluticasone 250 µg twice daily (morning and evening, approximately 12 hours apart). Rinsing the mouth after each inhalation is advised.
Inhalation Powder in Maxhaler (For Asthma): This is a moulded plastic device containing a foil strip with 60 regularly placed blisters containing pre-dispensed inhalation powder. Patients should be made aware that Maxhaler must be used daily for optimum benefit, even when asymptomatic.
Adults and Adolescents (12 years and older)-
- 50/100 Maxhaler: One Inhalation twice daily
- 50/250 Maxhaler: One Inhalation twice daily
- 50/500 Maxhaler: One Inhalation twice daily
Children (4 years and older)-
- 50/100 Maxhaler: One Inhalation twice daily. The maximum licensed dose of fluticasone propionate delivered by this Maxhaler in children is 100 ug twice daily. There are no data available for use of this Maxhaler in children aged under 4 years.
Inhalation Powder in Maxhaler (For COPD):
- Maxhaler: One Inhalation twice daily
- Special patient groups: There is no need to adjust the dose in elderly patients or in those with renal impairment. There are no data available for use of this in patients with hepatic impairment.
- Using the Maxhaler: This is a patient friendly, ready to use and easy to grip device. Use as per instructions for use.
Salmeterol: The pharmacological side effects of beta-2-agonist treatment, such as tremor, subjective palpitations and headache, have been reported, but tend to be transient and reduce with regular therapy. Cardiac arrhythmia (including atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia and extra systoles) may occur, usually in susceptible patients. There have been reports of arthralgia and hypersensitivity reactions, including rash, oedema and angioedema. There have been reports of oropharyngeal irritation. There have been rare reports of muscle cramps.
Fluticasone propionate: Hoarseness and candidiasis (thrush) of the mouth and throat can occur in some patients. Cutaneous hypersensitivity reactions have been reported. Rare cases of facial and oropharyngeal oedema have been reported. Both hoarseness and incidence of candidiasis may be relieved by gargling with water after use of Salmeterol/ Fluticasone Propionate Inhaler.